Tuesday 21 August 2012

Soul Kitchen Jukebox: Leon The Canteen





It's been a while since the Soul Kitchen's old Wurlitzer was dusted down and fired up, too long in fact. But every once in a while there comes a guest selector whose choices are impossible not to chronicle and share with you all. Leon 'The Canteen' (his real surname remains a mystery to us) is not only the manager of our new favourite outfit Janice Graham Band, but is also a veteran on the wheels of steel, too. The Canteen was the name of Leon's club/band night which toured the Manchester club scene and airwaves on Revolution 96.2, so it's safe to say the man knows his onions when it comes to grabbing the attention of the public's ears. We also bumped into him at the Brian Jonestown Massacre's gig at the Manchester Ritz recently, which further confirmed our suspicions that he was the right man for the job.





First Record You Bought






The Beat - Tears of a clown - I was 7 years of age and I wanted my own record player for Xmas ( I was sick of having to have my ear pressed against my Mam and Dad's BIG MASSIVE sideboard record player system that was in the living room.....while they were watching telly ) so I could have it in my own room. 'Tears of a Clown' was the record I wanted. So on Christmas Day I had my own record player, but only one record! The day after Boxing Day my Mam took me to the shop where I then bought 'The Prince - Madness' out of my Christmas money.


Song That Makes you Hit the Dancefloor







Young MC - Know How 

Everybody was either into some form of 'indie' and the Manchester thing or house music which had not yet hit the council estates of Salford, who were into the stoner grooves of Floyed/The Doors/Bowie/and Reggae. I've always been brought up on Northern Soul and Funk as my Mam and Dad were original Twisted Weel regulars. This was before 'Fools Gold' came out and it was like BLAM! It was around the same time as Deelight's 'Groove is in the Heart' and it was like "wow these are where I'm at" . Ace sample, amazing flow and a bassline to die for.



 Song You're Listening to Most Right Now







Ennio Morricone - Ecstasy of Gold

I don't really play that much music in the house anymore, it's more in the car or at work. I usually share a few tunes on Facebook so I tend to play them over and over again. Today's share is this dedicated to 'Team GB' and what can you say? Raw emotion which empowers you. If this song doesn't want to make you fuck, fight, cry, scream you're already dead. I was in a little band donkey's years ago and we came out to this at one of our gigs haha ( years before Metalica I might add ). For me this song is the closest I will ever get to God!


 Your Guilty Pleasure Record





Frankie Valli - Grease

What a fucking tune?!!!! And to be honest I'm not guilty it's pure pleasure... " We take the pressure and we throw away/Conventionality belongs to yesterday....there is a chance that we can make it so far" amazing. I was a little too young for the film as I was only 5-ish , but I do remember my Auntie Rita taking a gang of us ( I had older cousins ) to the pictures one Sunday afternoon. Picture the scene of about 25 Ordsall madhead scruffs all walking down Deansgate to the ABC ( Moon Under The Water ) hahaha



 Your Sunday Morning Record



Van Morrison - Astral Weeks 

The FULL album leaves me breathless. For me this is the best album ever made. I'm on my second vinyl copy after wearing the my first copy out. The album's a tale of a relationship. Side one is called 'In the beginging' while side two is called " Afterwards" the joy of finding and falling in love, the honeymoon period when you're so much in love that it hurts (I for one have certainly been there ) the sheer burden of weight of 'Beside you' and genreally track after track of pure 'luv'd up' bliss and then you hit side two ( Afterwards ) ...... with lyrics that implode my mind like " I'm stood in your doorway and I'm mumbling and I can't remember the last thing that ran through my head " and " Saw you early this morning with your brand new boy and your cadillac ". Heart wrenching to say the least. My tiny brains not big enough to fully comprehend this album , but until my dying day i'm gonna keep on trying.


Until next time,

Keep on Keepin' on,

Baia

X

No comments: